Hive >> mail # user >> Logging in Hive + UDFs

Logging in Hive + UDFs
Hello,

could anyone enlighten me as how the logging in Hive is working?

I see that a hive-exec-log4j.properties has been added but the JavaDoc
says it is only used for local mode. I found other comments that
mention that Hive uses a Classloader to find its configuration. I'm a
bit confused as to which configuration is used when. Also: We've
written our own UDFs and have included a log4j configuration which
apparently overwrites all the Hive configurations (as would be
expected I guess).

Is there some kind of best practice how to handle this? Normally I'd
just copy the default Hive configuration and insert our own into it.
But there seems to be quite a bit of special logic for logging in Hive
so I wanted to be sure.

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers,
Lars