Hadoop >> mail # dev >> RE: [Vote] Merge branch-trunk-win to trunk

+
Bikas Saha 2013-02-27, 00:30
+
Chris Nauroth 2013-02-27, 06:05
+
Raja Aluri 2013-02-28, 19:17
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2013-03-01, 04:47
+
Chuan Liu 2013-02-28, 20:21
+
Tsuyoshi OZAWA 2013-03-04, 02:09
+
Harsh J 2013-03-04, 04:50
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-03-04, 18:09
+
Harsh J 2013-03-05, 01:42
+
Matt Foley 2013-03-05, 01:49
+
Steve Loughran 2013-03-06, 13:54
Ok, looks like we are converging on this across a few hundred emails ;)

So, as has been stated elsewhere: test-patch will be improved to fully support
Windows; furthermore -1 from Windows' test-patch won't block Linux commits.
This is ok with me.

Can we have a JIRA ticket for that test-patch work assigned to the real owner,
so it can be tracked? I am +1 in this case.

Cos

On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 04:57PM, Chris Douglas wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Konstantin Shvachko
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Commitment is a good thing.
> > I think the two builds that I proposed are a prerequisite for Win support.
> > If we commit windows patch people will start breaking it the next day.
> > Which we wont know without the nightly build and wont be able to fix
> > without the on-demand one.
>
> As several people have pointed out already, the surface of possible
> conflicts is relatively limited, and- as you did in 2007- the devs on
> Windows will report and fix bugs in that platform as they find them.
> CI is important for detecting and preventing bugs, but this isn't
> software we're launching into orbit.
>
> > Making two builds is less than 2 days work, imho, given that there is
> > a Windows node available and that mvn targets are in place. Correct me
> > if I missed any complications in the process.
>
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > It seems that with the HW in place, the matter of setting at least nightly
> > build is trivial for anyone with up to date Windows knowledge. I wish I could
> > help. Going without a validation is a recipe for a disaster IMO.
>
> Fair enough, though that also implies that the window for regressions
> is small, and it leaves little room to doubt that this will receive
> priority. Until it's merged, spurious notifications that the current
> trunk breaks Windows are an awkward introduction to devs' workflow.
> The order of merge/CI is a choice between mild annoyances, really.
>
> But it might be moot. Giri: you're doing the work on this. When do you
> think it can be complete? -C
+
Matt Foley 2013-03-04, 20:22
+