HBase >> mail # user >> Moving master and namenode...

+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-02-09, 16:02
+
Harsh J 2013-02-10, 20:22
Re: Moving master and namenode...
Thanks Harsh and Varun for your replies.

Finally, to keep is simple I kept the same hostname and ave upgraded the
server instead of moving it under another hostname...

At some point I will most probably have to move it, but for now, it's
enought.

I will keep your advices in mind for when I will have to do it.

JM

2013/2/10 Harsh J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> The master does not have any local storage in a fully distributed
> setup, so the transfer can also be as easy as starting the new master
> on the new host and failing it over (by killing the original one).
>
> The NameNode move part is the one that gets tricky. HBase may store NN
> URLs in its ZK transient storage for purposes such as distributed log
> splitting, etc.. (correct me if this has been addressed), and if the
> NN move is ending up with a change of its hostname, then before you
> start HBase, you may want to scour the /hbase znodes in ZK to remove
> the znodes with a reference to the older NN URL in its data. Most just
> prefer to erase the whole /hbase znode, but it would work either way.
> The goal being to not have the new master or restarted slaves run into
> issues when it picks up a URL it can no longer fetch for processing.
>
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have added one new server in my cluster and I want to move the
> > master and the namenode into this new server, and install the previous
> > master as a datanode/RS.
> >
> > In the existing namenode, I will need to backup the NameNode storage
> > directories and restore them on the new namenode, and then reconfigure
> > all the servers to use this new namenode. Is that the right way to
> > proceed? Any risks for the data?
> >
> > Regarding the master, I simply need to configure all the region
> > servers to point to this new master? Nothing I need to transfert from
> > the existing master to the new one?
> >
> > I just want to make sure I don't miss something and lose everything.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > JM
>

> --
> Harsh J