Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Shared block storage via ZooKepper

+
Simon Felix 2011-07-13, 10:02
Re: Shared block storage via ZooKepper
Hi Simon, It is not entirely clear to me what you need zookeeper for
in this case. Are blocks replicated and you need to guarantee that the
updates are consistent across replicas?

On your observations, I'm quite sure people will have an opinion, so
here are my thoughts, which might not be representative of the whole
community :
1- You're right, we do not recommended to use ZooKeeper directly as
the data store. ZooKeeper servers keep their state in memory.
2- Cassandra already provides replication. Are you trying to
strengthen the guarantees of Cassandra? I don't get it...
3- Sound right that you could use BK as a journal, but it is not clear
which element is writing to the journal. Are you assuming a metadata
manager such as the namenode of HDFS?
4- I'm not sure what this option means. Are you proposing ZooKeeper to
manage the metadata of the file system? If so, I don't find it
entirely unrealistic, since metadata updates are supposed to be small
and the performance of ZooKeeper should be good enough for your case,
but it might be awkward to have your block storage clients talking
directly to ZooKeeper. Changes to metadata management would imply in
this case rolling out a new version of the client application instead
of just having the changes implemented on the service side.

-Flavio

On Jul 13, 2011, at 12:02 PM, Simon Felix wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> What is the best way to build a distributed, shared storage system
> on top of
> ZooKeeper? I'm talking about block storage in the terabyte-range
> (i.e. store
> billions of 4k blocks). Consistency and Availability are important,
> as is
> throughput (both read & write). I need at least 50 MB/s with 3 nodes
> with
> two regular SATA drives each for my application.
>
> Some options I came up with:
> 1. Use ZooKeeper directly as a data store (Not recommended according
> to the
> docs - and it really leads to abysmally bad performance, I tested
> that)
> 2. Use Cassandra as data store
> 3. Use BookKeeper as write-ahead log and implement my own underlying
> store
> 4. Use ZooKeeper to create my own (probably buggy...) data store
>
> What would you recommend? Are there other options?
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
direct +34 93-183-8828

phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301

+
Simon Felix 2011-07-13, 12:15
+
Ted Dunning 2011-07-13, 16:52