HDFS >> mail # user >> Re: HDFS / Federated HDFS - Doubts

Re: HDFS / Federated HDFS - Doubts
Don't know about question 4 but for the first three -- the metadata is
in the memory of the namenode at runtime but is also persisted to disk
(otherwise it would be lost if you shut down and re-start the namenode).
The copy persisted to disk is on the native file system (not HDFS) and
no is not automatically replicated. You have to protect your cluster by
backing it up. You not get two issues:
1. The number of files you can store is limited by the amount of memory
on the namenode
2. Since all access to files starts with getting the metadata the
network I/O lf the namenode is a possible limit

Those two issues are solved by splitting the duty across 2 namenodes
hence the advantage of federation.

[Hopefully someone who knows will tell you about question 4]

Cheers
Chris