Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta

+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-15, 18:02
+
Arpit Gupta 2013-05-15, 19:54
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 18:59
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 19:11
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 19:19
Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta
Hi Arun,

Can we add HADOOP-9517 to the list - having compatibility guidelines should
help us support users and downstream projects better?

Thanks
Karthik
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> A considerable number of people have expressed confusion regarding the
> recent vote on 2.0.5, beta status etc. given lack of specifics, the voting
> itself (validity of the vote itself, whose votes are binding) etc.
>
> IMHO technical arguments (incompatibility b/w 2.0 & 2.1, current stability
> of 3 features under debate etc.) have been lost in the discussion in favor
> of non-technical (almost dramatic) nuances such as "seizing the moment".
> There is now dangerous talk of tolerating incompatibility b/w 2.0 and 2.1)
> - this is a red flag for me; particularly when there are just 3 features
> being debated and active committers and contributors are confident of and
> ready to stand by their work. All patches, I believe, are ready to be
> merged in the the next few days per discussions on jira. This will,
> clearly, not delay the other API work which everyone agrees is crucial. As
> a result, I feel no recourse but to restart a new vote - all attempts at
> calm, reasoned, civil discussion based on technical arguments have come to
> naught - I apologize for the thrash caused to everyone's attention.
>
> To get past all of this confusion, I'd like to present an alternate,
> specific proposal for consideration.
>
> I propose we continue the original plan and make a 2.0.5-beta release by
> May end with the following content:
> # HDFS-347
> # HDFS Snapshots
> # Windows support
> # Necessary & final API/protocol changes such as:
>  * Final YARN API changes: YARN-386
>  * MR Binary Compatibility: MAPREDUCE-5108
>  * Final RPC cleanup: HADOOP-8990
>
> People working on the above features have all expressed considerable
> comfort with them and are ready to stand-by to help expedite any necessary
> bug-fixes etc. to get to stabilization quickly. I'm confident we can get
> this release out by end of May. This sets stage for a hadoop-2.x GA release
> right after with some more testing - this means I think I can quickly turn
> around and make bug-fix releases as necessary right after 2.0.5-beta.
>
> I request that people consider helping out with this plan and sign up to
> help push hadoop-2.x to stability as outlined above. I believe this will
> help achieve our shared goals of quickly stabilizing hadoop-2 and help
> ensure we can support it for forseeable future in a compatible manner for
> the benefit of our users and downstream projects.
>
> Please vote, the vote will run the normal 7 days. Obviously, I'm +1.
>
> thanks,
> Arun
>
> PS: To keep this discussion grounded in technical details I've moved this
> to dev@ (bcc general@).

+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2013-05-15, 18:32
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 19:19
+
Bikas Saha 2013-05-15, 20:16
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:23
+
Amir Sanjar 2013-05-15, 18:14
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 18:06
+
Nathan Roberts 2013-05-16, 18:28
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-17, 07:06
+
eric baldeschwieler 2013-05-15, 20:20
+
Sandy Ryza 2013-05-15, 20:25
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:29
+
Eli Collins 2013-05-15, 20:43
+
Zhijie Shen 2013-05-15, 20:47
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 21:21
+
Chris Douglas 2013-05-15, 22:27
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 23:44
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 23:56
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-15, 22:36
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 20:29
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:36
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 20:56
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 21:14
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 21:54
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-15, 23:17
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-16, 06:34
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 21:20
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 22:02
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 22:31
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 22:50
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 23:47
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 23:54
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-16, 06:19
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-16, 17:22
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-17, 19:52
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 04:25
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 05:05
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 05:41
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 05:52
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-16, 06:38
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 07:20
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-16, 18:18
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 05:29
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 21:15
+
Devaraj Das 2013-05-15, 20:39
+
Robert Evans 2013-05-16, 15:19