Hive, mail # user - Group by clause gives error

Re: Group by clause gives error
MiaoMiao 2012-08-10, 08:12
You need to apply an aggregate function to NAME since it's not used as
a GROUP BY key.

Without an aggregate function, your query will be confusing. I mean, what does
`select name from sometable group by date;`
mean anyway?

Try

select date,  count(type), count(name) from demotable group by date;