Drill >> mail # dev >> RC3 Vote: Third time's the charm?

Re: RC3 Vote: Third time's the charm?
Regarding libs, I concur.  The source release does not have jars.   I think
I may have confused myself by unpacking both into the same place and not
properly cleaning in between.

Regarding licenses and headers, I don't know the full list.  Clearly we
need license info about netty since we include that code.  Clearly a fair
bit of code doesn't have any headers.  Removing the sandbox from the source
release might be a strong step toward fixing that in the actual release.

I suspect that because we keep finding lint that this isn't a complete list
of problems. I think that generating a better list of problems by having a
small group meet and walk through the (large and confusing) Apache release
guide would be helpful.

I have asked Grant and Isabel to take a peek and help us get a more
complete view of what is needed as well.  I may ask somebody else from the
incubator crew to give us a hand, especially if Grant and Isabel are tied
up.

A big part of the problem has to do with the fact that Apache release
processes are a bit variable.  Another part is that the standards are
changing.  Another is that there are *lots* of details to be covered.

Once this first release is done, a second release should be massively
easier.  Frankly, the difficulty of the first release is precisely the
point of the incubator and the mentor system.