Bigtop >> mail # user >> Cluster Management: OpenSource & Vendor Options

Re: Cluster Management: OpenSource & Vendor Options
On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Steven Núñez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks. That issue answers pretty much all the questions. I’d certainly give
> it a +1 if I had a login. That definitely seems like the right direction to
> move in. I don’t know the internals, but if everyone is using BigTop for
> packaging, perhaps there’s some way to read the manifest files (if that’s
> what they’re called) to produce what Ambari needs for management.

>From the Bigtop side of things -- I'd love to see a better integration between
Ambari and Bigtop.

As a datapoint -- I poked around HDP2 (the distro that Ambari seems to
support in the best possible way) and it looked very similar to Bigtop
in layout and everything else. Perhaps it won't be that big of a deal to
adopt Ambari to support Bigtop distro natively. That would have an
added benefit of all the Bigtop-derived distros (Cloudera, Hortonworks,
Intel, Pivotal, WANDisco) getting the baseline support for free.

I'd love to help from Bigtop side of things, but my Ambari foo is weak
enough to request somebody from the Ambari team of developers
to help.

So... if there's enough interest, perhaps we can find a way?

Thanks,
Roman.