Hive >> mail # user >> odd header behavior?

odd header behavior?
Hi Hive Users,

Please tell me if i am missing something.   I prefer to run hive on a thin
client so i connect to a hive server by specifying a (remote) host and
port. (eg. $ hive -h <host> -p <port>)  However, my sql results are not
coming back with headers - even though i explicitly request such.  To wit,
see below:

[namenode1:10000] hive> set hive.cli.print.header=true;
[namenode1:10000] hive> select * from sprague_test;
1       sprague
2       foo
3       bar

if i log on to the host where hadoop is running and run hive there w/o
specifying a host and port - i do get the headers.  Moreover if i am on the
hadoop host and i run hive with -h and -p as localhost - i don't get the
headers!

So whats up with hive.cli.print.header in remote mode?

Thanks,
Stephen
+
Nitin Pawar 2012-05-26, 05:59