Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Running Zookeeper in 2 machines

+
erolagnab 2013-11-05, 04:38
+
Cameron McKenzie 2013-11-05, 04:52
+
erolagnab 2013-11-05, 05:42
+
Cameron McKenzie 2013-11-05, 05:46
+
erolagnab 2013-11-05, 07:05
Re: Running Zookeeper in 2 machines
I have a similar problem to you. I have more than 2 machines, but only 2
geographically redundant sites.

In your situation, you could get some redundancy by running 2 instances on
one host, and 1 instance on the other host. This would protect you from
temporary network glitches (because the machine with 2 instances can still
form a quorum), and will protect you from failure of the machine with the
single instance. It will not help you if the machine with 2 instances
crashes.

In this situation, where the 2 instance machine dies, you can temporarily
configure the 1 instance machine to be a single instance cluster, and then
when the 2 instance machine is recovered, you can reconfigure the single
instance machine to be part of the 3 instance cluster again. This process
is manual, and slightly dangerous, because if you restart nodes in the
wrong order, you have potential to lose data. This is the approach that I
have tested and seems to work, but I'd recommend testing it also.

Machine A has ZK instance 1
Machine B has ZK instances 2 and 3

Machine B dies
Reconfigure ZK instance 1 so that it only has itself in the cluster. This
means that there is no redundancy at this point, but it can form a quorum
as its the only instance in the cluster.
Restart ZK instance 1 to pickup config changes
Fix up Machine B
Reconfigure ZK 1 instance to have ZK instances 2 and 3 in its configuration
Restart ZK instance 1 to pickup config changes
Start ZK instance 2 on Machine B.
Wait for ZK instance 1 on Machine A and ZK instance 2 on machine B form a
quorum. This is vitally important. If you start instance 3 before a quorum
is formed it is possible that instances 2 and 3 will form a quorum. This
will cause any updates that have occurred via instance 1 during the outage
of Machine B to be lost.
Start ZK instance 3 on Machine B

This process should become easier once dynamic reconfiguration is
implemented (in ZK 3.5 I believe?) because restarts won't be required.
cheers
Cam