HBase >> mail # dev >> An 0.92.0 Release Candidate this week?

+
Stack 2011-10-31, 18:16
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2011-10-31, 18:19
+
Stack 2011-10-31, 18:27
+
Ted Yu 2011-11-01, 04:28
+
Stack 2011-11-01, 05:42
+
Eric Yang 2011-11-01, 16:52
+
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2011-11-02, 00:17
+
Eric Yang 2011-11-02, 00:25
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-11-02, 00:46
+
Eric Yang 2011-11-02, 01:26
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-11-02, 16:08
+
Stack 2011-11-02, 03:56
+
Eric Yang 2011-11-02, 06:41
Re: An 0.92.0 Release Candidate this week?
I'd like to lobby for the security patches (HBASE-2742 and HBASE-3025)
going in to 0.92.  This may sound like a big change at this stage, but
in reality the impact on current HBase core is pretty contained:

* HBASE-2742 adds a "security" profile to the build, which only
includes the security sources (security/src/...) if enabled.  The
changes to core code in this patch mostly just enable subclassing of
HBaseClient and HBaseServer for implementation of the SecureRpcEngine.

* HBASE-3025 adds classes to the "security" source tree to implement
authorization checking.  These break down into:
  - an AccessController coprocessor implementation for authorization
checking.  If not enabled, this code has no impact on core.
  - additional shell commands for ACL manipulation: grant, revoke,
user_permission.  These implementations check for existence of the
security classes on the classpath and will fail gracefully with an
error message that security is not available.

The use of a maven profile means that security components will only be
included in the build when activated (mvn ... -P security), so we can
continue to do builds and releases without the security components, if
needed.  To start with, we may want to do separate release packages
for the base HBase version vs. HBase with security (0.92.0 and
0.92.0-security), so that only those interested in using the security
features need be impacted by them.

At Trend, we've been running a release with HBase security for the
past 6 months in production, so it's been proven to work for us.  I
know that there are other groups interested in working with HBase
security on 0.92, so I would really like to find a way meet that need.
 At the same time, all of the security components have been built to
be optionally enabled, so I think there is very little risk to core by
including it.

--gh

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There's just a few issues left.  Check it out:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE/fixforversion/12314223
>
> I'm hoping we can kill these last few and post an RC this week.  If
> there is anything you crew could do to help along the RC, I would
> appreciate the hand (Or, if there is something you think has to make
> it into 0.92.0, please speak up).
>
> Thanks all,
> St.Ack

+