Avro >> mail # user >> Possibility of additional compression within a binary rpc protocol

+
Иван Судос 2012-06-21, 09:47
Re: Possibility of additional compression within a binary rpc protocol
Hi Иван,

Compression seems like an excellent addition to the RPC layer.  There is
already a 'Codec' interface used for avro data files; it would make sense
to expose the same set of codecs for RPC.  I recommend looking over
https://cwiki.apache.org/AVRO/how-to-contribute.html and filing a JIRA with
your plan.  I'm sure people will be interested in which RPC layers you're
proposing to do this on.  For the HttpServer family, you might be able to
use transparent gzip compression (
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/GZIP+Compression), though I'm not
sure that would work.

Cheers,