Avro >> mail # user >> Issue writing union in avro?

Re: Issue writing union in avro?
This is due to using the JSON encoding for avro and not the binary encoding.
It would appear that the Python version is a little bit lax on the spec.
Some have built variations of the JSON encoding that do not label the union,
but there are drawbacks to this too, as the type can be ambiguous in a very
large number of cases without a label.

Why are you using the JSON encoding for Avro?  The primary purpose of the
JSON serialization form as it is now is for transforming the binary to human
readable form.
Instead of building your GenericRecord from a JSON string, try using
GenericRecordBuilder.

-Scott