Avro >> mail # dev >> Python-Avro Codegen Proposal

Python-Avro Codegen Proposal
Hi,

I recently started using Avro at my work and we found it difficult to keep
track of what python dict matched to what schema. Instead of having
random dicts being populated and then attempted to be serialized to avro, I
thought
it would be more readable and less error prone to codegen the python dict
for developers. These classes are type checked field by field. Although it
does not
have the advantage of compiled type checking like in the java codegen, it
is a
friendly wrapper around python dicts representing avro records to be
serialized.

let me know what you think about this, I am still tweaking how it behaves.
I understand it is a bit unpythonic to enforce types in this way, but the
readability
is worth it nonetheless.

here is an example record:
https://gist.github.com/talevy/5696236

I extended the avro compiler/tools to provide both java and python codegen
functionality.
so if this sounds like something others would use, maybe it makes sense to
include it
into the main repo.
Thanks,
Tal