HBase >> mail # dev >> using test-jars in hbase maven project

Re: using test-jars in hbase maven project
This is a known issue in maven that we have to do a more advanced build
phase (test-compile) to run a simpler one. The main reason behind this is
that maven isn't smart enough at the moment to recognize when it needs to
do more work for another, dependent, module. For instance, it needs the
hadoop-compat.jar since it is a dependent project but it can't get it
because it doesn't get run in the correct phase.

This is a known issue with maven and there are comments in the pom (or at
least there were, when I moved the poms) to the effect that there are filed
maven issues and its a known bug. It seemed a minor overhead to workaround
the bug by ordering your tasks correctly in maven such that things build
correctly. Note that you can run maven with the -o option to run offline
and any previously installed jars will be used and any changes your made
will overwrite only the necessary jars.

There has also been some discussion around moving the test sources around
for certain classes, such that they are correctly inheritable. On one hand,
this solves the problem, but is a 'dirty' way to enable the sources to be
accessible. In fact, we discussed this option with the hbase-common module (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-6162).

If I recall correctly, we ended up going with the idea of moving the
test-utilites to a src/main directory, but leaving the actual tests in the
test directory. Even better, would be creating an hbase-test-util class
that has the utilities in the src/main and is usable by all dependent
projects (though this could just as easily stay in hbase-common).

The problem with building the jar at generate-test-sources (or -resources)
is that this is actually before the compilation step (test-compile),
inherently breaking the logical ordering of these things.

All that said, any ideas to make this better (in a comprehensive solution)
would be great!

-Jesse
Jesse Yates
@jesse_yates