Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta

+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-15, 18:02
+
Arpit Gupta 2013-05-15, 19:54
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 18:59
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 19:11
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 19:19
+
Karthik Kambatla 2013-05-15, 18:23
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2013-05-15, 18:32
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 19:19
+
Bikas Saha 2013-05-15, 20:16
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:23
+
Amir Sanjar 2013-05-15, 18:14
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 18:06
+
Nathan Roberts 2013-05-16, 18:28
Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta

Thanks a bunch Nathan, for clearly letting us know the Yahoo! team's perspective.

We are getting started on rolling upgrades from YARN side (Sid opened YARN-666) and I hear HDFS side is too.

We definitely need compatibility and testing kits. Have to get started on this.

Work-preserving restart on YARN side - we plan to scope down next.

Thanks,
+Vinod

On May 16, 2013, at 11:28 AM, Nathan Roberts wrote:

> (initially respond on general@, sorry about that. copied here)
>
> +1 (non-binding)
>
> From my perspective:
>
> * The key feature that will drive me to adopt 2.x is Rolling Upgrades
> * In order to get to rolling upgrades, we need a compatibility story that
> is significantly better than we have today
> ** We need a comprehensive definition of what compatibility really means
>  ** We need better testing in place to verify we're not breaking
> compatibility
> ** We need better definition and testing of what rolling upgrades really
> means. Rolling between bug-fix releases ­ Required, Rolling between minor
> releases ­ Required, Rolling between major releases ­ Desired.
>  ** We need work-preserving restart on the YARN side. Restarting jobs
> isn't sufficient.
> ** ...
> * Given that Rolling upgrades aren't there yet, and there is still work to
> be done to solidify the compatibility story, I'm ok with the feature
> window remaining open until these are in place, especially given the fact
> that the proposed features are likely to have non-zero impact on
> compatibility/rolling_upgrades.
> * I'd certainly like a release with rolling upgrades as soon as possible,
> so I feel like the feature window needs to ramp down very quickly.
> Something like 2.0.5-beta in May with the current list of proposed
> features, then 2.0.6-beta in late summer with full rolling upgrade support
> and a solid compatibility story, would seem like a reasonable timeline.
> Once we have a beta release with rolling upgrades, I can look at pushing
> 2.x to some of our larger clusters.
>
> Nathan Roberts
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> On 5/15/13 1:06 PM, "Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

>> Seems like you forgot to bcc. Forwarding this to general.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> +Vinod
>> On May 15, 2013, at 10:57 AM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> A considerable number of people have expressed confusion regarding the
>>> recent vote on 2.0.5, beta status etc. given lack of specifics, the
>>> voting itself (validity of the vote itself, whose votes are binding) etc.
>>>
>>> IMHO technical arguments (incompatibility b/w 2.0 & 2.1, current
>>> stability of 3 features under debate etc.) have been lost in the
>>> discussion in favor of non-technical (almost dramatic) nuances such as
>>> "seizing the moment". There is now dangerous talk of tolerating
>>> incompatibility b/w 2.0 and 2.1) - this is a red flag for me;
>>> particularly when there are just 3 features being debated and active
>>> committers and contributors are confident of and ready to stand by their
>>> work. All patches, I believe, are ready to be merged in the the next few
>>> days per discussions on jira. This will, clearly, not delay the other
>>> API work which everyone agrees is crucial. As a result, I feel no
> [...]
+
eric baldeschwieler 2013-05-15, 20:20
+
Sandy Ryza 2013-05-15, 20:25
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:29
+
Eli Collins 2013-05-15, 20:43
+
Zhijie Shen 2013-05-15, 20:47
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 21:21
+
Chris Douglas 2013-05-15, 22:27
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 23:44
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 23:56
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-15, 22:36
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 20:29
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:36
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 20:56
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 21:14
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 21:54
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-15, 23:17
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-16, 06:34
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 21:20
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 22:02
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 22:31
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 22:50
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 23:47
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 23:54
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-16, 06:19
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-16, 17:22
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-17, 19:52
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 04:25
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 05:05
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 05:41
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 05:52
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-16, 06:38
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 07:20
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-16, 18:18
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 05:29
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 21:15
+
Devaraj Das 2013-05-15, 20:39
+
Robert Evans 2013-05-16, 15:19