Avro >> mail # user >> Re: Avro vs Json

Re: Avro vs Json
You'll need to compress JSON. Avro can compress itself. Avro
represents more types, you'll need to serialize your types beyond what
json supports with annotation or by convention. JSON is simpler.

Short answer: use JSON if it's types are expressive enough for your
data, and if you don't mind compressing it yourself. Avro has more
types, has the schema onboard and self compresses.

Russell Jurney