Hadoop >> mail # general >> DISCUSSION: Cut a hadoop-0.20.0-append release from the tip of branch-0.20-append branch?

Re: DISCUSSION: Cut a hadoop-0.20.0-append release from the tip of branch-0.20-append branch?
On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Ian Holsman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There are already 5 Hadoop 20.x releases out there, I don't think there is a need for another. (personal opinion, not a veto or speaking as the chair)

Are you counting other than Apache releases?  (I see only 4 here, two
of which probably should be removed:
http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/apache//hadoop/core/.)

> Is there a reason why we couldn't create a hadoop 0.20.3 release that has this patch inside of it, as well as other fixes that have been applied since 0.20.2 (~26 patches)? Would this be too much effort for you to RM?..

I'd like that but my sense is the general populace of hadoopers would
think the append/sync suite of patches destabilizing -- append/sync
has a long 'history' in hadoop -- and a violation of the general
principal that bug fixes only are added on a branch.
> I really don't want to come to a^h^h^h^hget out of the situation where we have multiple releases of 0.20 each with a unique feature.

Sure.  The notion has been broached before up on these lists -- e.g.
there was talk of a 0.20 Apache release that had security in it -- and
at the time folks seemed amenable.

Thanks for getting the discussion off the ground,
St.Ack