Hadoop >> mail # user >> Re: Can we declare some HDFS nodes "primary"

Re: Can we declare some HDFS nodes "primary"
Rack awareness will help, but it's a "best effort" rather than
guaranteed replication. Over time the cluster will converge to having
at least one replica on each rack, but even just normal block churn
can result in significant time periods where rack replication policy
is violated. The issue becomes worse if you lose one of those 10
servers and rereplication happens -- the rereplication can take hours.

Depending on your use case, you could

1. run the 10 servers with dfs.data.dir on one (or several) EBS volume(s).
2. replicate your data to S3. (There's no plumbing in HDFS to do this
automatically, alas.)
3. run as two separate clusters (10 nodes in one, 500 in another) and
distcp between them.

As you can see from those suggestions, HDFS really isn't designed with
this scenario in mind...

-andy