HBase, mail # user - Question on Scanner REST API Usage

+
Jerry Lam 2012-10-19, 14:31
Re: Question on Scanner REST API Usage
Andrew Purtell 2012-10-19, 17:56
Hi Jerry,

> Is there a way to set the number of rows for caching that will be passed
to scanners (setCaching)?

No.

Scanners on the REST server will use the default value for setCaching
provided in the hbase-site.xml deployed for the REST server. Overriding it
hasn't been considered a good idea because the REST server is a shared
client among many tenants.

> Note that setting the batch size won't work because, for example, some
rows might have 10 columns and the other rows might have 5 columns, setting
batch to 10 will include cells that are from other rows.

Yes, REST scanners will pull in cells from subsequent rows if one row
doesn't have sufficient cells to fill the 'batch' parameter given.

> I want a API that behaves like the Java native API that will get all
columns of a row when I call next().

Patches which provide this behavior as an option would gladly be accepted!

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)