HBase, mail # dev - TestHLog hanging in trunk

Re: TestHLog hanging in trunk
Gary Helmling 2011-10-06, 00:52
On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Todd Lipcon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > +CC Roman who worked on the patch identified by the bisect.
>
> Thanks for the CC. I've just subscribed myself to the list.
>
> > Roman, does Gary's analysis make sense to you?
>
> Hm. I need to look into it. There *could* be some issues with the
> mini-cluster,
> since I've enabled a whole new codepath for it.

I'm thinking this may just be sloppiness or lack of cleanup in TestHLog that
was just exposed by the HBASE-4209 change.  Even if I revert the change to
JVMClusterUtil from 4209 and instead use the patch to call shutdown in
TestHLog.tearDownAfterClass(), I still get hangs every 3-4 runs when
executing TestHLog in a loop.

Previously, when TestHLog had neither the shutdown hook nor an explicit
shutdown of the mini cluster, I'm guessing that the test would "pass" even
though the mini cluster never fully shut down.  So it's good to have the
shutdown hooks in place for tests to help us ferret out these issues.