Hive >> mail # dev >> How long will we support Hadoop 0.20.2?

+
Brock Noland 2013-09-18, 20:04
+
Ashutosh Chauhan 2013-09-18, 20:22
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-09-18, 20:54
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-09-18, 21:01
+
Owen OMalley 2013-09-18, 23:02
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-09-19, 00:57
Re: How long will we support Hadoop 0.20.2?
+1 on what Ed said.

I think 0.20.2 is still very real. Would be a bummer if we do not support
it as a lot of companies are still on that version.

Ashish

Ashish Thusoo <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ashish-thusoo/0/5a8/50>
CEO and Co-founder,
Qubole <http://www.qubole.com> - a cloud based service that makes big data
easy for analysts and data engineers

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Edward Capriolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> BTW: I am very likely to install hive 0.12 on hadoop 0.20.2 clusters. I
> have been running hive since version 0.2. I have been running hadoop since
> version 0.17.2. After 0.17.2 I moved to 0.20.2. Since then the hadoop has
> seemingly has 10's of releases. 0.21, 0.21.append (Dead on arrival) .
> cloudera this, cloudera that, yahoo hadoop distribution (dead on arrival),
> 0.20.2.203 0.20.2.205, 1? 2.0? 2.1. None of them really have much shelf
> life or a very clear upgrade path.
>
> The only thing that has remained constant for our environment is hive and
> hadoop 0.20.2. I have been happily just upgrading hive on these clusters
> for years now.
>
> So in a nutshell, I'm a long time committer, and I actively support and
> develop hive on hadoop 0.20.2 clusters, I do not see supporting the shims
> as complicated or difficult.
>

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Owen O'Malley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Edward Capriolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > I am not fine with dropping it. I still run it in several places.
> > >

> > The question is not whether you run Hadoop 0.20.2, but whether you are
> > likely to install Hive 0.12 on those very old clusters.
> >

> > > Believe it or now many people still run 0.20.2. I believe (correct me
> If
> > > am wrong) facebook is still running a heavily patch 0.20.2.
> > >

> > It is more accurate to say that Facebook is running a fork of Hadoop
> where
> > the last common point was Hadoop 0.20.1. I haven't heard anyone (other
> than
> > you in this thread) say they are running 0.20.2 in years.
> >

> > > I could see dropping 0.20.2 if it was a huge burden but I do not see it
> > > that way, it work's it is reliable, and it is a known quantity.
> > >

> > It is a large burden in that we have relatively complicated shims and a
> > lack of testing. Unless you are signing up to test every release on
> 0.20.2
> > we don't have anyone doing the relevant testing.
> >
> > -- Owen

+
Xuefu Zhang 2013-09-19, 02:18
+