HDFS >> mail # dev >> Re: Release numbering for branch-2 releases

Re: Release numbering for branch-2 releases
+1 for a release with all the changes that are committed. That way it
carries all the important bug fixes.
 So, rather than debate more, I had a brief chat with Suresh and Todd. Todd
> suggested calling the next release as hadoop-2.1.0-alpha to indicate the
> incompatibility a little better. This makes sense to me, as long as we are
> clear that we won't make any further *feature* releases in hadoop-2.0.x
> series (obviously we might be forced to do security/bug-fix release).

We have been incorrectly using point releases to introduce features. Given
there are many features in this release, calling it 2.1.0 instead of 2.0.3
makes sense. As you said, I am okay with the proposed plan as long as we do
not lapse back to introducing new features in point releases meant for
critical bugs.