Hadoop >> mail # general >> Linux flavour?

Re: Linux flavour?
On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Joe Doherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> My first attempt at installing Hadoop so be gentle!
>
> I was wondering what flavour of Linux is best recommended / supported for Hadoop.
>
> I hope this isn't a stupid question but being a newbie I'd rather start with a recommended foundation.
>
> Quite excited at taking this journey!
>
> Thanks in advance.

Personally I find CentOS6/RHEL6 a nice stable platform for running Hadoop.

Also, if you're interested in a packaged install of Apache Hadoop and its
ecosystem projects for quite a few Linux distros, make sure to take a look
at Apache Bigtop:
    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+install+Hadoop+distribution+from+Bigtop+0.6.0

Hope this helps.

Thanks,