Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Using ZK for real-time group membership notification

Re: Using ZK for real-time group membership notification
in a distributed setting such an answer is impossible. especially
given the theory of relativity and the speed of light. a machine may
fail right after sending a heart beat or another may come online right
after sending a report. even if zookeeper could provide this you would
still have thread scheduling issues on a local machine that means that
you are operating on old information.

to deal with this applications can use views, which allow clients to
reconcile differences. for example, if two processes communicate and
one has a different list of members than the other then they can both
consult zookeeper to reconcile or use the membership list with the
highest zxid. the other option is to count on eventually everyone
converging.

i would not develop a distributed system with the assumption that "all
group members know *the exact number of  members at all times*".

ben