Have we not learned our lessons from the last attempts to split?

The issues in our community, which I think Chris is referring to, do
not generally revolve around project boundaries. It's not the case
that the HDFS community wants to go one way and the MR/YARN community
wants to go another, and we get into a conflict around it. If it were,
then splitting into separate TLPs would make a ton of sense.

Instead, the issues are usually _within_ a component. So, if we split
into 3 TLPs, then we'll just have 3 TLPs, each of which is just as
contentious as before.

Let's just embrace contention as a fact of life on a high-profile
high-stakes project and get back to work.

I wasted nearly a month undoing the mess of the last attempt, and I
don't see why this time it would go any better. -1 from my perspective
on splitting again at this point. Perhaps if we get to the point that
we're never making cross-project commits it makes sense, but we're not
there still.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon