Sqoop, mail # dev - [DISCUSS] Sqoop 2 first cut

+
Jarek Jarcec Cecho 2012-12-02, 01:17
+
Alexander Alten-Lorenz 2012-12-02, 14:43
+
Jarek Jarcec Cecho 2012-12-02, 16:46
+
Alexander Alten-Lorenz 2012-12-05, 10:13
Re: [DISCUSS] Sqoop 2 first cut
abhijeet gaikwad 2012-12-05, 17:28
+1 for the 'first cut' and Jarcec as Release Manager.

Thanks,
Abhijeet
On 5 Dec 2012 15:43, "Alexander Alten-Lorenz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Jarcec,
>
> Thanks for the explanation, make sense. Agree fully and +1 for a release.
>
> Thanks,
>  Alex
>
> On Dec 2, 2012, at 5:46 PM, Jarek Jarcec Cecho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Alex,
> > I had several reasons when I've suggested this approach. Firstly, for
> versions like 2.0.0-alpha I would expect to get 2.0.0 (without -alpha) soon
> and without major changes. This won't be case for Sqoop as we might need to
> do major, backward compatibility changes - it's undesirable to introduce
> backward incompatible between minor revisions. We also most likely will
> release several version before leaving alpha state, which might cause
> issues to see what is and what is not considered stable. Also this first
> cut is very far from something that might be called Sqoop 2, it contain
> just very basic set of functionality without several most important goals
> of Sqoop 2. However I'm aware that Hadoop is following this path [1].
> >
> > Please note that I did not invented this idea. For example KDE project
> [2] is using very similar approach for quite some time by now as you can
> see on their archive [3]. Versions like 4.8.90 or 4.8.95 are "pre-releases"
> for 4.9. Another example would be Ubuntu one client [4]. I would recommend
> taking a look on  my original proposal as it contains all the information
> [5].
> >
> > Links:
> > 1 :http://mirror.nexcess.net/apache/hadoop/common/hadoop-2.0.1-alpha/
> > 2: http://kde.org/
> > 3: http://download.kde.org/unstable/
> > 4: https://launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/stable-4-0
> > 5: http://markmail.org/message/5jygqqy3oryxqdib
> >
> > On Sun, Dec 02, 2012 at 03:43:38PM +0100, Alexander Alten-Lorenz wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> great.
> >> Why not not use a 2.0.0.alpha version or something like that? The could
> be 2.1.x the first stable release. 1.99 could cause some irritation in
> future dialogs (1.xx vs. 2.xx).
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Alex

> very soon covered. Having said that I would like to propose doing "first
> cut" release of Sqoop 2. My motivation to provide early bits is to get
> feedback from actual users as soon as possible, so that we can incorporate
> good ideas before it will become too expensive.

> number 1.99.1. I believe that this version number implies that it's very
> far from current stable 1.4 version and very very near to 2.0, but it's not
> 2.0 yet. I would also like to volunteer to be the release manager for this
> first cut of Sqoop 2 branch.

> >> --
> >> Alexander Alten-Lorenz
> >> http://mapredit.blogspot.com
> >> German Hadoop LinkedIn Group: http://goo.gl/N8pCF
> >>

> --
> Alexander Alten-Lorenz
> http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Hari Shreedharan 2012-12-05, 18:10
+
Jarek Jarcec Cecho 2012-12-06, 16:43
+
Bilung Lee 2012-12-04, 22:59
+
Seetharam Venkatesh 2012-12-05, 06:36
+
Will McQueen 2012-12-05, 06:44
+
Arvind Prabhakar 2012-12-04, 22:34
+
Venkatesan Ranganathan 2012-12-07, 18:12