Hadoop, mail # general - [DISCUSS] Spin out MR, HDFS and YARN as their own TLPs and disband Hadoop umbrella project

Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 01:47

On Aug 29, 2012, at 4:32 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

> Hi Cos,
>
> On Aug 29, 2012, at 4:27 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
>
>>> Sounds cool to me.

>>> Why not put the 1.x stuff in Bigtop since it's global or whatever?
>>
>> Wearing my BigTop hat now, I encourage this audience to rush something like
>> this to BigTop. If I am reading you correctly, you are asking BigTop to host
>> 1.x branches of Hadoop, aren't you? I don't see how it fits in there,
>> actually. But this is a separate issue that needs to involve BigTop community.
>
> Agreed that it would totally involve the BigTop community, and that that part
> is up to them. You guys would know this way better than me, so thanks for
> mentioning this issue Cos. I just kinda threw this out there but it's not a blocker
> for me -- whatever makes sense here and it's a good point raised by Eli that
> can probably be solved a number of different (easily solvable and documentable) ways :)

I agree with Eli we can solve it number of ways within the new TLPs - I'm also pretty it doesn't make sense to involve BigTop. I'd rather not waste bandwidth on that alley.

thanks,
Arun