Bigtop >> mail # dev >> [VOTE] Bigtop 0.7.0 and Bigtop 0.8.0 BOMs

[VOTE] Bigtop 0.7.0 and Bigtop 0.8.0 BOMs
Hi!

this is a bit of an unusual vote thread, since it votes
on two BOMs at once. The reasons I decided to run
it that way is simple -- I'd like to get us to a closure
on two recent threads: a Bigtop 0.7.0 discussion thread
and a potential Bigtop singularity release. I do believe
that what boms of both releases can influence the
other one -- hence this double VOTE.

Here's my proposal: we do a Bigtop 0.7.0 pretty much
as Cos has proposed with a few tweaks to the BOM
and release the bits around end of Sep 2013. We then
follow with a regular Bigtop 0.8.0 with a few components
undergoing major version changes and release the bits
at around end of Dec. Essentially Bigtop 0.8.0 becomes
our singularity release -- something that we hopefully won't
have to to for another year or so. The downside of this,
of course, is that Bigtop 0.8.0 *may* end up being less
stable, but at least it'll serve as a forcing function for
the integration concerns of all the Hadoop ecosystem projects.

With that in mind here's a formal BOM for Bigtop 0.7.0:
         * Zookeeper 3.4.5 (no change from Bigtop 0.6.0)
         * Sqoop 1.99.2 (no change from Bigtop 0.6.0)
         * Oozie 3.3.2 (no change from Bigtop 0.6.0)
         * Mahout 0.7 (no change from Bigtop 0.6.0)
         * Tomcat 6.0.36 (no change from Bigtop 0.6.0)
         * Datafu 0.0.6 (no change from Bigtop 0.6.0)
         * Giraph 1.0.0 (no change from Bigtop 0.6.0)
         * Whirr 0.8.2 (no change from Bigtop 0.6.0)
         * Pig 0.11.1 (no change from Bigtop 0.6.0)
         * Hadoop 2.0.6-alpha
         * HBase 0.94.11
         * Crunch 0.7.0
         * Hive/HCatalog 0.11.0
         * Flume 1.4.0
         * Hue 2.5.0
         * Solr 4.4.0

And here's what would make Bigtop 0.8.0 a singularity one:
          * Hadoop 2.1.x-beta
          * HBase 0.96.x
          * Oozie 4.0.x
          * Hue 3.0.x
          * Mahout 0.8
of course, there will be few minor version bumps as well,
but what we have to agree in this vote is that we're all
comfortable with the above 5 changing in such a major way
in lock-step.

Thanks,
Roman.