From: Chris Nauroth [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 17 July 2013 05:13
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: mvn eclipse:eclipse failure on windows

Loading hadoop.dll in tests is supposed to work via a common shared maven-surefire-plugin configuration that sets the PATH environment variable to include the build location of the dll:

https://github.com/apache/hadoop-common/blob/trunk/hadoop-project/pom.xml#L894

(On Windows, the shared library path is controlled with PATH instead of LD_LIBRARY_PATH on Linux.)

This configuration has been working fine in all of the dev environments I've seen, but I'm wondering if something different is happening in your environment.  Does your hadoop.dll show up in hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/bin?  Is there anything else that looks unique in your environment?

Also, another potential gotcha is the Windows max path length limitation of
260 characters.  Deeply nested project structures like Hadoop can cause very long paths for the built artifacts, and you might not be able to load the files if the full path exceeds 260 characters.  The workaround for now is to keep the codebase in a very short root folder.  (I use C:\hdc .)

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/