Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Zookeeper ensemble backup questions?

+
jack ma 2013-07-19, 18:00
+
Sergey Maslyakov 2013-07-19, 18:19
+
jack ma 2013-07-19, 18:42
+
Sergey Maslyakov 2013-07-19, 19:15
+
Sergey Maslyakov 2013-07-19, 19:29
+
jack ma 2013-07-19, 22:28
+
Thawan Kooburat 2013-07-19, 21:24
+
jack ma 2013-07-19, 22:32
+
Thawan Kooburat 2013-07-19, 22:49
+
Jordan Zimmerman 2013-07-19, 18:13
Re: Zookeeper ensemble backup questions?
Jordan,

It depends on the use case. Some use cases deal with 99% or more of static
non-ephemeral nodes. And this is why the Exhibitor approach does not work
for those use cases.
Regards,
/Sergey
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm a bit late to this one but I don't understand the need for complete
> backup of ZK data. In my experience, 99% of ZNodes are ephemeral.
> Therefore, it would be wrong to restore those nodes. In a disaster, the
> connection sessions would expire and you would not want ephemeral nodes
> restored. This is why in Exhibitor I took the approach of selective restore.
>
> -Jordan
>
> On Jul 19, 2013, at 11:00 AM, jack ma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I asked those question in the thread
> >
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-user/201307.mbox/%3cCAB+cfdwhOV0JfB04=MpO_+i-4ou=VbL=EG2XS557+j+[EMAIL PROTECTED]%3e
> ,
> > but there is no response for that.
> >
> > So I posted those questions again here, hopefully I could get helps
> > from the community.
> >
> > I want to make sure I am fully understanding the procedures of zookeeper
> > backup and disaster recovery:
> >
> > For the backup procedures at zookeeper assemble:
> > (1) Login to any host which state is "Serving"
> >           Question:
> >                  Do I have to login to leader node, or any node is ok?
> > (2) Copy latest snapshot file and transaction log from version-2
> directory.
> >           Question:
> >                  How to make sure we do not copy corrupt files if the
> > snapshot/transaction log is in the middle of update? Do we have to
> shutdown
> > the node to make the copy?
> >                  besides the transaction log and snapshot, do we have to
> > copy other files such as the ecoch files
> >
> > For the disaster recovery procedures at zookeeper assemble:
> > (1) recreate the machines for the zookeeper ensemble
> > (2) copy snapshot/transaction log we backed up into the zookeeper
> > dataDir\version-2 and logDir\version2.
> >           Question:
> >                 Do we have to copy the epoch files?
> >                 Do we have to copy snapshot/transaction log backed up to
> > all the zookeeper node, or just the first node we starts?
> >
> > Appreciate your time and help.
> > Jack

+
Alexander Shraer 2013-07-19, 18:26