Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Monitor: Adding graphs for each table and server

+
Supun Kamburugamuva 2013-04-05, 15:21
+
Eric Newton 2013-04-05, 16:46
+
Supun Kamburugamuva 2013-04-05, 17:29
Re: Monitor: Adding graphs for each table and server
We actually have JMX support.  You need to turn it on, though.  We should
just turn it on by default.

Because we don't use the JMX api very much, it may need some improvement.

-Eric
On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Supun Kamburugamuva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Thank you all for the input.
>
> I think I understand the requirement for the displaying the graphs.
>
> For the openTSBD part I'll go through its documentation and Eric's work to
> see what I can find.
>
> If we are going for third party tools for monitoring, may be it is better
> to provide APIs (like JMX) so that users can plug in any tool.
>
> Thanks,
> Supun..
>

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Eric Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > > ACCUMULO-594 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-594>
> talks
> > > about OpenTSBD. Can you please give me some references on why we need
> > > OpenTSBD?
> > >

> > The monitor provides a quick summary of accumulo stats, a bit of history
> > and the most recent ERROR/WARN log messages.
> > But it's all just kept in memory and only for an hour or so.  It isn't a
> > real monitoring tool at all.
> > It is nice to have *something* we can depend upon as soon as you get
> > accumulo running.
> > I do a lot of accumulo support, and having the monitor lets relatively
> > unsophisticated users see problems right away.
> >
> > But we don't have a lot of time to keep putting more energy into making
> the
> > monitor a better monitoring tool.
> > It would be better to integrate with other monitoring tools.
> >
> > OpenTSDB stores and presents time-series data.  It can monitor anything
> and
> > use a NoSQL back-end database to persist the monitored data.
> > It can handle monitoring thousands of nodes, each with hundreds of
> > datapoints.
> > Perhaps there are better tools out there.
> >
> > We would still need some tool for the management of log/event data, too.
> >
> > -Eric
> >

> --
> Supun Kamburugamuva
> Member, Apache Software Foundation; http://www.apache.org
> E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED];  Mobile: +1 812 369 6762
> Blog: http://supunk.blogspot.com

+
Supun Kamburugamuva 2013-04-10, 15:11
+