Flume, mail # user - Re: file channel read performance impacted by write rate

+
Jan Van Besien 2013-11-14, 08:50
+
Brock Noland 2013-11-14, 16:07
+
Jan Van Besien 2013-11-13, 09:32
+
Brock Noland 2013-11-13, 14:03
Re: file channel read performance impacted by write rate
Jan Van Besien 2013-11-18, 10:28
Hi,

Sorry it took me a while to answer this. I compiled a small test case
using only off the shelve flume components that shows what is going on.

The setup is a single agent with http source, null sink and file
channel. I am using the default configuration as much as possible.

The test goes as follows:

- start the agent without sink
- run a script that sends http requests in multiple threads to the http
source (the script simply calls the url http://localhost:8080/?key=value
over and over a gain, whereby value is a random string of 100 chars).
- this script does about 100 requests per second on my machine. I leave
it running for a while, such that the file channel contains about 20000
events.
- add the null sink to the configuration (around 11:14:33 in the log).
- observe the logging of the null sink. You'll see in the log file that
it takes more than 10 seconds per 1000 events (until about even 5000,
around 11:15:33)
- stop the http request generating script (i.e. no more writing in file
channel)
- observer the logging of the null sink: events 5000 until 20000 are all
processed within a few seconds.

In the attachment:
- flume log
- thread dumps while the ingest was running and the null sink was enabled
- config (agent1.conf)

I also tried with more sinks (4), see agent2.conf. The results are the same.

Thanks for looking into this,
Jan
On 11/14/2013 05:08 PM, Brock Noland wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Jan Van Besien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/13/2013 03:04 PM, Brock Noland wrote:
>      > The file channel uses a WAL which sits on disk.  Each time an
>     event is
>      > committed an fsync is called to ensure that data is durable. Without
>      > this fsync there is no durability guarantee. More details here:
>      > https://blogs.apache.org/flume/entry/apache_flume_filechannel
>
>     Yes indeed. I was just not expecting the performance impact to be
>     that big.
>

>      > The issue is that when the source is committing one-by-one it's
>      > consuming the disk doing an fsync for each event.  I would find a
>     way to
>      > batch up the requests so they are not written one-by-one or use
>     multiple
>      > disks for the file channel.
>
>     I am already using multiple disks for the channel (4).
>

> Can you share your configuration?
>
>     Batching the
>     requests is indeed what I am doing to prevent the filechannel to be the
>     bottleneck (using a flume agent with a memory channel in front of the
>     agent with the file channel), but it inheritely means that I loose
>     end-to-end durability because events are buffered in memory before being
>     flushed to disk.
>

> I would be curious to know though if you doubled the sinks if that would
> give more time to readers. Could you take three-four thread dumps of the
> JVM while it's in this state and share them?

+
Brock Noland 2013-12-17, 17:51
+
Jan Van Besien 2013-11-18, 13:21