HBase >> mail # dev >> Adding a new region server or splitting an old region in a Hash-partitioned HBase Data Store

Re: Adding a new region server or splitting an old region in a Hash-partitioned HBase Data Store
On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Joarder KAMAL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> May be a simple question to answer for the experienced HBase users and
> developers:
>
> If I use hash partitioning to evenly distribute write workloads into my
> region servers and later add a new region server to scale or split an
> existing region, then do I need to change my hash function and re-shuffle
> all the existing data in between all the region servers (old and new)? Or,
> is there any better solution for this? Any guidance would be very much
> helpful.

You do not need to change your hash function.

When you add a new regionserver, the balancer will move some of the
existing regions to the new host.

St.Ack