MapReduce >> mail # user >> product recommendations engine

product recommendations engine
Hello,

I don't have any prior experience with Hadoop.  I am also not a statistics
expert.  I am a software engineer, however, after looking at the docs,
Hadoop still seems pretty intimidating to set up.

I am interested in doing product recommendations.  However, I want to store
many things about user behavior, for example whether they click on a link
in an email, how they rate a product, whether they buy it, etc.  Then I
would like to come up with similar items that a user may like.  I have seen
an example just based on user ratings, but would like to add much more data.

Also, I think the clustering could be used in terms of recommending based
on similar descriptions, attributes, and keywords.

Or, I could use a combination of the two approaches.

Another question, I wonder if Hadoop takes into account the passage of
time.  For example, a user may rate something high, then change their
rating a couple months later.

Lastly, my site is based on PHP.  I need to be able to integrate that with
Hadoop.

How feasible is this approach?  I saw a clustering example, and a
recommendation example based on user ratings.  Are there any other advice,
docs, or examples that you could point me to that deals with any of these
issues?

Thanks,
Doug