Chukwa, mail # dev - Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Apr 2013 ([ppmc])

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Apr 2013 ([ppmc])
ant elder 2013-04-08, 06:48
I don't think talking on the dev list about retirement is helpful, it will
discourage people from participating. There is no imminent threat of
retirement. Poddlings can continue on in the Incubator as long as they need
so long as there are still mentors willing, I'm happy to continue as mentor
here for as long as needed, so so can Chukwa. Lets talk about things in
terms of whats needed to graduate.

There are plenty of small and relatively inactive existing ASF TLP's and
similar poddlings have graduated in the past and continue to exist ok.

Chukwa has shown continual activity here for 4 years so i don't think there
is any worry that the main participants are about to abandon it. Activity
has been low recently but people are still here doing things and helping
users. Ariel's mail here -
http://apache.markmail.org/message/5a3qmaph5bibxcqd - has a good summary of
the situation, but even like that there have been several past contributors
this quarter made new committers.

Lets wait and see how the two SJSU students turn out. Also, as Ariel
comments in the email link above doing another release would be a good way
to help others to engage and increase activity levels. It would be
interesting to hear from other mentors what so of activity levels they
would like to see. It might also be worth looking at some of the
alternative approaches to traditional incubation that have been discussed
on general@ recently.

   ...ant