Hive, mail # user - The dreaded Heap Space Issue on a Transform

+
John Omernik 2013-01-29, 13:43
+
John Omernik 2013-01-30, 14:28
+
Philip Tromans 2013-01-30, 15:11
Re: The dreaded Heap Space Issue on a Transform
John Omernik 2013-01-30, 15:54
So it's filling up on the emitting stage, so I need to look at the task
logs and or my script that's printing to stdout as the likely culprits I am
guessing.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Philip Tromans
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> That particular OutOfMemoryError is happening on one of your hadoop nodes.
> It's the heap within the process forked by the hadoop tasktracker, I think.
>
> Phil.
>

> On 30 January 2013 14:28, John Omernik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> So just a follow-up. I am less looking for specific troubleshooting on
>> how to fix my problem, and more looking for a general understanding of heap
>> space usage with Hive.  When I get an error like this, is it heap space on
>> a node, or heap space on my hive server?  Is it the heap space of the
>> tasktracker? Heap of the job kicked off on the node?  Which heap is being
>> affected? If it's not clear in my output, where can I better understand
>> this? I am sorely out of my league here when it comes to understanding the
>> JVM interactions of Hive and Hadoop, i.e. where hive is run, vs where task
>> trackers are run etc.
>>
>> Thanks is advance!
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 7:43 AM, John Omernik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> I am running a transform script that parses through a bunch of binary
>>> data. In 99% of the cases it runs, it runs fine, but on certain files I get
>>> a failure (as seen below).  Funny thing is, I can run a job with "only" the
>>> problem source file, and it will work fine, but when as a group of files, I
>>> get these warnings.  I guess what I am asking here is this: Where is the
>>> heap error? Is this occurring on the nodes themselves or, since this is
>>> where the script is emitting records (and potentially large ones at that)
>>> and in this case my hive server running the job may be memory light, could
>>> the issue actually be due to heap on the hive server itself?   My setup is
>>> 1 Hive node (that is woefully underpowered, under memoried, and under disk
>>> I/Oed) and 4 beefy hadoop nodes.  I guess, my question is the heap issue on
>>> the sender or the receiver :)
>>>

>>> 13-01-29 08:20:24,107 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.CodecPool: Got
>>> brand-new compressor
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:24,107 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.SelectOperator: 12 forwarding 1 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:24,410 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.ScriptOperator: 3 forwarding 10 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:24,410 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.SelectOperator: 4 forwarding 10 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:24,411 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.SelectOperator: 5 forwarding 10 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:24,411 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.SelectOperator: 6 forwarding 10 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:24,411 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.FilterOperator: 8 forwarding 10 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:24,411 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.SelectOperator: 9 forwarding 10 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:24,411 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.SelectOperator: 10 forwarding 10 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:24,412 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.SelectOperator: 12 forwarding 10 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:27,170 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.ScriptOperator: 3 forwarding 100 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:27,170 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.SelectOperator: 4 forwarding 100 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:27,170 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.SelectOperator: 5 forwarding 100 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:27,171 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.SelectOperator: 6 forwarding 100 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:27,171 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.FilterOperator: 8 forwarding 100 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:27,171 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.SelectOperator: 9 forwarding 100 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:27,171 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.SelectOperator: 10 forwarding 100 rows
>>> 2013-01-29 08:20:27,171 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.SelectOperator: 12 forwarding 100 rows
+
Richard Nadeau 2013-01-30, 16:14
+
Dean Wampler 2013-01-30, 16:40