Pig >> mail # user >> Custom DB Loader UDF

+
Terry Siu 2012-08-31, 21:02
+
Ruslan Al-Fakikh 2012-08-31, 21:44
+
Terry Siu 2012-08-31, 22:01
+
Russell Jurney 2012-08-31, 22:02
RE: Custom DB Loader UDF
Thanks, Russell, I'll dig in to your recommendations. I'd be happy to open source it, but at the moment, it's not exactly general enough. However, I can certainly put it on github for your perusal.

-Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: Russell Jurney [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2012 3:03 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Custom DB Loader UDF

I don't have an answer, and I'm only learning these APIs myself, but you're writing something I'm planning on writing very soon - a MySQL-specific LoadFunc for Pig. I would greatly appreciate it if you would open source it on github or contribute it to Piggybank :)

The InputSplits should determine the number of mappers, but to debug you might try forcing it by setting some properties in your script re:
inputsplits (see
https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/cdh-user/1QtL9bBwL0c
):

The input split size is detemined by map.min.split.size, dfs.block.size and mapred.map.tasks.

goalSize = totalSize / mapred.map.tasks
minSize = max {mapred.min.split.size, minSplitSize} splitSize= max (minSize, min(goalSize, dfs.block.size))

minSplitSize is determined by each InputFormat such as SequenceFileInputFormat.
I'd play around with those and see if you can get it doing what you want.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Terry Siu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know this question has probably been posed multiple times, but I'm
> having difficulty figuring out a couple of aspects of a custom
> LoaderFunc to read from a DB. And yes, I did try to Google my way to an answer.
> Anyhoo, for what it's worth, I have a MySql table that I wish to load
> via Pig. I have the LoaderFunc working using PigServer in a Java app,
> but I noticed the following when my job gets submitted to my MR
> cluster. I generated 6 InputSplits in my custom InputFormat, where
> each split specifies a non-overlapping range/page of records to read
> from. I thought that each InputSplit would correspond to a map task,
> but what I see in the JobTracker is that the submitted job only has 1
> map task which executes each split serially. Is my understanding even
> correct that a split can be effectively assigned to a single map task?
> If so, can I coerce the submitted MR job to properly get each of my
> splits to execute in its own map task?
>
> Thanks,
> -Terry

Russell Jurney 2012-08-31, 23:03