Flume >> mail # user >> Configuring flume for better throughput

+
Pankaj Gupta 2013-07-26, 01:31
+
Derek Chan 2013-07-26, 07:34
Re: Configuring flume for better throughput
could you provide a sample of the config you are using ?
   1. Are the batches from flume source sent to the sink in a pipelined
   fasion or is the next batch only sent once an ack for previous batch is
   received?

Source does not send to sink directly. Source dumps a batch of events into
the channel... and the sink picks it form the channel in batches and writes
them to destination. Sink fetches a batch from channel and writes to
destination and then fetches the next batch from channel.. and the cycle
continues.
   1. If the batch send is not pipelined then would increasing the number
   of sinks draining from the channel help.
   The idea behind this is to basically achieve pipelining by having
   multiple outstanding requests and thus use network better.

Increasing the number of sinks will increase concurrency.
   1. If batch size is very large, e.g. 1 million, would the batch only be
   sent once that many events have accumulated or is there a time limit after
   which whatever events are accumulated are sent? Is this timelimit
   configurable? (I looked in the Avro Sink documentation for such a setting:
   http://flume.apache.org/FlumeUserGuide.html, but couldn't find anything,
   hence asking the question)

IMO...Not a good idea to have such a large batch.. esp if you like to have
concurrent sinks. each sink will need to wait for 1mill events to close the
transactions on the channel.
   1. Does enabling ssl have any significant impact on throughput?
   Increase in latency is expected but does this also affect throughput.

perhaps somebody can comment on this.

-roshan

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:34 AM, Derek Chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  We have a similar setup (Flume 1.3) and same problems here. Increasing
> the batch size did not help much but setting up multiple AvroSinks did.
>

> On 26/7/2013 9:31, Pankaj Gupta wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>  We are trying to figure out how to get better throughput in our flume
> pipeline. We have flume instances on a lot of machines writing to a few
> collector machines running with a File Channel which in turn write to still
> fewer hdfs writer machines running with a File Channel and HDFS Sinks.
>
>  The problem that we're facing is that we are not getting good network
> usage between our flume collector machines and hdfs writer machines. The
> way these machines are connected is that the filechannel on collector
> drains to an Avro Sink which sends to Avro Source on the writer machine,
> which in turn writes to a filechannel draining into an HDFS Sink. So:
>
>  [FileChannel -> Avro Sink] -> [Avro Source -> FileChannel -> HDFS Sink]
>
>  I did a raw network throughput test(using netcat on the command line)
> between the collector and the writer and saw a throughput of ~*200Megabits
> */sec. Whereas the network throughput  (which I observed using iftop)
> between collector avro sink and writer avro source never went over *
> 25Megabits*/sec, even when the filechannel on the collector was quite
> full with millions of events queued up. We obviously want to use the
> network better and I am exploring ways of achieving that. The batch size we
> are using on avro sink on the collector is 4000.
>
>  I have a few questions regarding how AvroSource and Sink work together
> to help me improve the throughput and will really appreciate a response:
>
>    1. Are the batches from flume source sent to the sink in a pipelined
>    fasion or is the next batch only sent once an ack for previous batch is
>    received?
>    2. If the batch send is not pipelined then would increasing the number
>    of sinks draining from the channel help.
>    The idea behind this is to basically achieve pipelining by having
>    multiple outstanding requests and thus use network better.
>    3. If batch size is very large, e.g. 1 million, would the batch only
>    be sent once that many events have accumulated or is there a time limit
>    after which whatever events are accumulated are sent? Is this timelimit
+
Pankaj Gupta 2013-07-26, 20:38
+
Pankaj Gupta 2013-07-26, 21:12