Hadoop, mail # general - Naming of Hadoop releases

Re: Naming of Hadoop releases
Konstantin Shvachko 2012-03-20, 06:02
<Doug>
> to prevent such situations in the future might be that if you backport
> something from branch n to n-2 then you ought to also be required to
> backport it to branch n-1 and in general to all intervening branches.

This is imo the most important topic in the discussion.
I support Doug's proposal, because it provides forward-moving
evolution of the project,
with releases being driven by the necessity to introduce new features,
so that we could avoid back- and forward-porting overhead, which
exhausts the community resources.

<Arun>
> This is against the Apache Hadoop release policy on major releases i.e.
> only features deprecated for at least one release can be removed.

Not sure if this is the Apache Hadoop release policy, but
we as PMC were inconsistent in allowing decisions to implement new
features in old releases, namely the 0.20 series, instead of creating
new releases with those new features. This is the reason why security
and other good features are not in 0.22.
Feature freeze has been broken so many times for the .20 branch, so
that it became a norm for the entire project rather than an exception,
which we had in the past.

I don't understand this constant segregation against Hadoop .22. It is
a perfectly usable version of Hadoop. It would be waste not to have it
released. Very glad that universities adopted it. If somebody needs
security there is a number of choices, Hadoop-1 being the first. But
if you cannot afford stand-alone HBase clusters or need to combine
general Hadoop and HBase loads there is nothing else but Hadoop 0.22
at this point.

When .23 is stable I will be glad to use it. But the steady stream of
feature ports makes it hard to decide how stable it is and to predict
when it is ready.
I am advocating to stop porting features and start releasing them.
If .23 is Federation + Yarn, then 0.23 + HA is 0.24; plus PB - going
to 0.25, etc.

Thought I should clarify what I mean by forward-going progress.
Hope it makes sense.

Thanks,
--Konstantin