HBase >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Namespace Delimiter

+
Francis Liu 2013-05-07, 23:38
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2013-05-07, 23:43
Re: [DISCUSS] Namespace Delimiter
I would also submit that "." is a pretty universal standard (citation needed) in relational databases for separating namespaces (schemas, etc.) from tables. We use that now to represent the same idea, and using a different delimiter would be less than ideal in the long run.

But, I agree with Jon - anything in the 0.96 upgrade that causes people to change client code in lock-step isn't going to fly.

Is there any solution which can use "." but be transparent at upgrade time? I.e. you could still refer to it by its full "Namespace.Table" name in client code, and it does a little more work to try both combinations? That'd prevent cases where someone already has tables called both "Y' and "X.Y", but, come on, who does that?

Ian

On May 7, 2013, at 6:43 PM, Jonathan Hsieh wrote:

I prefer using a delimiter that does not require migration.  As someone who
has to support a wide variety of users, this will cause much less confusion
from our users (and save me grief!)

>From the code [1], any symbol char other than '.', '_', or '-' would be an
ok delimiter.  howabout a ':' or '#'?

[1]