HDFS >> mail # user >> Re: Maximum Storage size in a Single datanode

Re: Maximum Storage size in a Single datanode
You should probably think about this in a more cluster fashion.  A single
node with a PB of data is probably not a good allocation of CPU : Disk
ration.  In addition, you need enough RAM on your NameNode to keep track of
all of your blocks.  A few nodes with a PB each would quickly drive up NN
RAM requirements.

As others have mentioned, the local file system that HDFS sits on top of
may have limits.  We're going to use EXT4 which should handle that much,
but it's probably still not a good idea.

If you're just thinking of storing lots of data, you might consider
GlusterFS instead.

I highly recommend RedHat over Ubuntu.

Hope that helps.