HBase, mail # user - EndPoint Coprocessor could be dealocked?

Re: EndPoint Coprocessor could be dealocked?
Michael Segel 2012-05-18, 10:40
Fei DIng,

I think you're making the solution harder than it should be.

To start with, the only think you need to do is use co-processors to keep the indexes in sync with the underlying table.

The code called from the co-processor will depend on the type of action and the type of index you are using.

Then you need to only focus on how you use the index and then how you implement the intersection of the result sets.

One idea I had was to invert the intersection table so that you would have N rows where each row would contain the result set. Then you fetch one row to get your row keys.
So if you have 3 indexes where you would want to find the intersection, fetch the row key value of 3 would yield the intersection, rather than do a scan of the key values and fetch the intersection count.  (This could work, but you may have issues with very large result sets. (How many columns can you have? )
The point is that if you place your focus first on the problem and then secondly on the mechanics you will have an easier time solving the problem. The only catch is that you have to be able to work in the abstract.

HTH

-Mike

PS. This really is an interesting problem which when solved will help with the evolution of HBase more as a Database than as a persistent object store.