Hadoop, mail # general - Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release
Konstantin Shvachko 2011-09-07, 09:04
Eric,

It would take the same amount of resources to fix 0.22 as to merge
append and security branches aka 0.20.205.
Although I understand that Hortonworks needs to support its
customer(s) and is eager to bridge the gap in functionality with its
competitor(s), I think continuing with 0.20
a-three-years-old-technology is not the best place to invest
resources. In the past you advocated for 0.21 and 0.22, both now
abandoned by your team(s) in favor of enhancing 0.20. It will be sad
to see this backward/forward porting going on forever, diverging the
Apache Hadoop project from natural evolutionary process.

I think 0.22 has all the functionality required to run Hadoop for most
production tasks. I see enough momentum and involvement in the
community with 0.22 testing. I think there will be enough resources to
get it stabilized in near future.

Nigel,

your comment can be understood as a request to commit important fixes
to the 0.22 branch. I agree with that. But if you choose to abandon
the RM role I will volunteer to take it over.

Thanks,
--Konstantin