Hadoop >> mail # user >> Questions about BN and CN

Re: Questions about BN and CN
The CheckpointNode creates checkpoints of the namespace, but does not keep
an up-to-date state of the namespace in memory.
If primary NN fails CheckpointNode can only provide an old state of the namespace
created during latest checkpoint.
Also CheckpointNode is a replacement for SecondaryNameNode in earlier releases.

BackupNode does checkpoints too, but in addition keeps an up-to-date state
of the namespace in its memory.
When the primary NN dies you can ask BackupNode to save namespace, which will
create the up-to-date image, and then start NN instead of BN on the node BN
was running using that saved image directly or start NN on a different node
using importCheckpoint from the saved inage directory.

See the guide here.
http://hadoop.apache.org/hdfs/docs/r0.21.0/hdfs_user_guide.html#Checkpoint+Node

Thanks,
--Konstantin