HDFS >> mail # dev >> [VOTE] port HDFS-127 (DFSClient block read failures cause open DFSInputStream to become unusable) to hadoop 0.20/0.21

+
Tsz Wo \ 2009-10-19, 21:34
+
Suresh Srinivas 2009-10-19, 22:51
Re: [VOTE] port HDFS-127 (DFSClient block read failures cause open DFSInputStream to become unusable) to hadoop 0.20/0.21
+1 This fix has been in limbo for a long time; thanks for finishing
it, Nicholas. -C

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Tsz Wo (Nicholas), Sze
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> DFSClient has a retry mechanism on block acquiring for read.  If the number of retries attends to a certain limit (defined by dfs.client.max.block.acquire.failures), DFSClient will throw a BlockMissingException back to the user application.  In the current implementation, DFSClient counts the failures across multiple block acquiring operations but the block acquiring operations are supposed to be independent.  HDFS-127 fixes this problem by counting the failures within a single operation.
>
> I propose to commit HDFS-127 to 0.20 and above since this fix is safe and very useful.
>
> Nicholas Sze

+
Dhruba Borthakur 2009-10-19, 22:59
+