HBase >> mail # user >> Column qualifiers with hierarchy and filters

+
Nasron Cheong 2013-11-01, 01:19
+
Asaf Mesika 2013-11-01, 06:04
+
Nasron Cheong 2013-11-04, 21:48
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-11-05, 17:28
Re: Column qualifiers with hierarchy and filters
Yes, its limited in the sense that we have to precalculate the number of
digits required so we don't run out, and if we overestimate, then our row
keys end up taking up more space than we'd care to.

We can probably live with this approach for now, but I wonder if there's a
better way.

- Nasron
On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Nasron,
>
> Why are you saying that it's a limited way? Does it achieve your needs?
>

> 2013/11/4 Nasron Cheong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > An example query would be the following, say the column qualifier was of
> > the form
> >
> > <bucket #>:<msg type>
> >
> > where <bucket #> should be an integer value, and msg type is a string.
> E.g.
> >
> > 1:abc
> > 1000:abc
> > 2: abc
> >
> > would appear in the above sequence, which is out of order when doing
> prefix
> > filtering. Zero padding could fix this:
> >
> > 0001:abc
> > 0002:abc
> > 1000: abc
> >
> > But is a limited way of ensuring the sequence of CQ (column qualifiers)
> is
> > correct, in order for prefix filtering to work. Are there other options?
> >
> > - Nasron
> >

> > On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Nasron Cheong
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to determine the best way to serialize a sequence of
> > > integers/strings that represent a hierarchy for a column qualifier,
> which
> > > would be compatible with the ColumnPrefixFilters, and
> BinaryComparators.
> > >
> > > However, due to the lexicographical sorting, it's awkward to serialize
> > the
> > > sequence of values needed to get it to work.
> > >
> > > What are the typical solutions to this? Do people just zero pad
> integers
> > > to make sure they sort correctly? Or do I have to implement my own
> > > QualifierFilter - which seems expensive since I'd be deserializing
> every
> > > byte array just to compare.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > - Nasron