From: Vinayakumar B [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 3:31 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: High Availability - second namenode (master2) issue: Incompatible namespaceIDs

Hi,

If you are moving from NonHA (single master) to HA, then follow the below steps.

1.       Configure the another namenode's configuration in the running namenode and all datanode's configurations. And configure logical fs.defaultFS

2.       Configure the shared storage related configuration.

3.       Stop the running NameNode and all datanodes.

4.       Execute 'hdfs namenode -initializeSharedEdits' from the existing namenode installation, to transfer the edits to shared storage.

5.       Now format zkfc using 'hdfs zkfc -formatZK' and start zkfc using 'hadoop-daemon.sh start zkfc'

6.       Now restart the namenode from existing installation. If all configurations are fine, then NameNode should start successfully as STANDBY, then zkfc will make it to ACTIVE.

7.       Now install the NameNode in another machine (master2) with same configuration, except 'dfs.ha.namenode.id'.

8.       Now instead of format, you need to copy the name dir contents from another namenode (master1) to master2's name dir. For this you are having 2 options.

a.       Execute 'hdfs namenode -bootStrapStandby'  from the master2 installation.

b.      Using 'scp' copy entire contents of name dir from master1 to master2's name dir.

9.       Now start the zkfc for second namenode ( No need to do zkfc format now). Also start the namenode (master2)

Regards,
Vinay-