Hadoop >> mail # user >> Strange machine behavior

Re: Strange machine behavior
Hi,

I always set  "vm.swappiness = 0" for my hadoop servers (PostgreSQL servers too).

The reason is that Linux moves memory pages to swap space if they have not been accessed for a period of time (swapping).  Java virtual machine (JVM) does not act well in the case of swapping that will make MapReduce (and HBase and ZooKeeper) run into trouble.   So I would suggest to set  vm.swappiness = 0.

Thanks
ac